- Last Wednesday Nelson-based Wakatū Incorporation lost a High Court claim against the Crown for claimed breaches of fiduciary duty, and good faith in its dealings with the Māori owners of land in the Nelson and Motueka regions. The decision allows the Crown to proceed with Treaty settlements with iwi groupings at the top of the South Island.
- Last Friday a high court judge granted Te Whānau o Waipareira Trust the right to deliver (temporarily) the Family Start programme. A full hearing into the Ministry of Social Development decision to terminate Te Whānau o Waipareira Trust Family Start programme will be held in August. The Trust has also called a meeting of other Māori social sector providers to discuss a potential Treaty of Waitangi claim against the Crown, alleging that contractual terms and conditions are unjust.
- On Monday the Minister for Climate Change Issues, Tim Groser, announced amendments to New Zealand’s Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS). Among the changes is provision to retain the allocation of second tranche compensation for forest owners, where off-setting is not taken up. This policy will be of significant interest to Māori forest-owners. (For further details refer to Pānui E11/2012.)
- This week Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga (a Māori Centre of Research Excellence) published a first edition of Mai Journal: A New Zealand journal of Indigenous Scholarship. The publication will be biannual.
- On Tuesday an application for bail for Tame Iti and Te Rangikaiwhiria Kemara (two of the Urewera four) was heard in the Court of Appeal, Wellington. The men are seeking bail while they wait to have an appeal hearing against their convictions for their involvement in military style camps in Te Urewera National Park in 2007.
- On Wednesday Orete Incorporation was fined $45,000 for polluting a stream with dairy effluent near Waihau Bay last September.
Māori News Stories for the week ending 6 July 2012
Māori news stories for the week ending 29 June 2012
Kia ora, welcome to the pānui site. We provide information and analysis on Māori social, treaty and economic policy matters.
Current affairs posts are freely available to all, but analytical assessments and briefing papers are restricted to subscribers. Read more about us.
- Māori news stories for the week ending 10 May 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 3 May 2013
- Maori news stories for the week ending E13 19 April 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 5 April 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 22 March 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 15 March 2013
- Māori-interest news stories for the week ending 8 March 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 1 March 2013
- Maori News stories for the week ending 22 February 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 15 February 2013: E5/2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 8 Feb 2013
- E3 Māori news stories for the week ending 1 February 2013
- General matters Appointments and Honours and Māori news stories for the week ending 25 January 2013
- Māori-interest news stories: 14 December 2012 to 18 January 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 7 December 2012
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010