- Sir Eddie Durie and Maanu Paul have been appointed co-chairs of the New Zealand Māori Council. Sir Graham Latimer becomes the first president of the organisation. The Council has also indicated that it is the only legislatively-enabled, pan-Māori organisation – and should be a natural choice for Crown-Māori dialogue. (We presume that this is in response to increased Crown dialogue with the Iwi Chairs Forum.)
- On Monday William Rātahi Pitman, former National President of the 28 (Māori) Battalion Association passed away, aged 94 years.
- On Monday Major Hone Hikitia Te Rangi Waititi, company commander of the 28th Māori Battalion passed away, aged 91 years.
- Greg McManus has been appointed as the new chief executive of the Waitangi National Trust. Mr McManus will commence his role in August.
- Rea Wikaira has been appointed to the Health Promotion Agency board. The Health Promotion Agency will bring together the functions of the Alcohol Liquor Advisory Council, the Health Sponsorship Council, and some health promotion work of the Ministry of Health. The new agency will be established on 1 July.
- On Thursday the Te Whānau o Waipareira Trust legal challenge against the Ministry of Social Development decision to terminate their Family Start programme commenced in the Auckland High Court.
- On Wednesday Statistics NZ launched Te Ao Mārama, 2012, an online-publication showing economic, social, cultural, and environmental statistics on Māori.
- From Sunday Māori Television will introduce a new programming format where Te Reo tuition programmes will broadcast from 10am-3pm.
Māori news stories for the week ending 29 June 2012
Kia ora, welcome to the pānui site. We provide information and analysis on Māori social, treaty and economic policy matters.
Current affairs posts are freely available to all, but analytical assessments and briefing papers are restricted to subscribers. Read more about us.
- Māori news stories for the week ending 10 May 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 3 May 2013
- Maori news stories for the week ending E13 19 April 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 5 April 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 22 March 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 15 March 2013
- Māori-interest news stories for the week ending 8 March 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 1 March 2013
- Maori News stories for the week ending 22 February 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 15 February 2013: E5/2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 8 Feb 2013
- E3 Māori news stories for the week ending 1 February 2013
- General matters Appointments and Honours and Māori news stories for the week ending 25 January 2013
- Māori-interest news stories: 14 December 2012 to 18 January 2013
- Māori news stories for the week ending 7 December 2012
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010